In a Ted Talk that I listened to recently scientists explained that only 10% of our happiness correlated with our environment… that leaves a whopping 90% that is controlled by our mindset and the way we think about things.

If you ever played the Sims as a child (or adult!) you might remember the ‘environment’ bar. It would go up or down according to the size of the house, number of expensive ornaments and paintings, and a number of other luxuries. It turns out this bar is extremely inaccurate, and proves the theory that ‘money really can’t buy happiness’. That ‘environment’ bar only accounts for one tenth of our true happiness. The rest is our outlook on life; how positive we are, the way we are able to find joy and happiness in the little things. If we are able to change this, we are able to boost our happiness.

5 Steps to a positive outlook

1. At the end of every day say 3 things out loud that you were grateful for that day. Replay happy moments in your mind and focus on the good in life.

2. Overthinking things can contribute uncesseraily to stress and anxiety levels. Empty your mind with breathing exercises and meditation. Exercise, walk, call a friend, dance to music, watch trash tv!! You will have better judgement and concentration to deal with difficult tasks if you have a fresh mind – no use worrying.

3. Remove negativity. You might have to be brave with this one because it might include your job, friendships or relationships, This can drain you both mentally and physically, and life really is too short for that! Surround yourself with positive, uplifting people.

4. Avoid false stimulants that play havoc on our ‘happy hormones’. E.g. alcohol, drugs, caffeine.

5. Do everything with a smile – you might make someone else’s day as well as your own. Look after others however you can.